Extracted from the guarana seed, guarana powder is much sought after for its positive effects in relation to combating chronic tiredness, fatigue and stress, being seen as an alternative for replacing coffee.
Guarana powder has a bitter taste and is widely sold in so-called natural food stores. However, its use requires care because, even having several benefits for our health, when used in an uncontrolled manner, it can cause damage to our body and even, in some cases, be lethal.
BENEFITS OF GUARANA POWDER
It has several benefits when consumed in the recommended amounts and properly prescribed by a nutritionist, among them:
- Decrease in tiredness and chronic fatigue;
- Improved physical performance in high performance activities;
- Improved mood;
- Greater blood circulation;
- Increased resistance in situations of physical and mental stress;
- Improved concentration and reasoning;
It is also important to emphasize that such effects occur in the majority of the population that ingests the correct amounts of guarana powder. However, each organism can react differently to guarana powder.
GUARANA POWDER PROPERTIES
The properties present in this are still being studied in depth. However, we know that:
- It has a lot of caffeine in its composition.
- Theobromine, a component also present in chocolate, is found in guarana powder and is one of the substances responsible for the production of dopamines in our body.
- The seed from which guarana powder is made has a certain fat content which, when combined with one of its substances, tannic acid, makes the effects of guarana powder last longer than those of coffee.
GUARANA POWDER NUTRIENTS
It pure by being composed mostly of caffeine has no nutrients. It is free of macronutrients such as proteins, lipids and carbohydrates and micronutrients such as zinc, iron and potassium.
WHAT IS THE USE OF GUARANA POWDER
It can be used for various purposes, widely sought after by people suffering from fatigue and chronic fatigue. Due to its caffeine-rich composition, guarana powder works on the central nervous system as a stimulant, releasing molecules of dopamine, a hormone responsible for keeping us more active and awake.
It can also be used to aid in weight loss processes, in the prevention of diseases such as atherosclerosis and thromboembolism, and in the treatment of headaches.
The substance can also be used as an adjunct in the treatment of depression, however, due to the fact that, over time, it may lose its effect, it is necessary that we take care of its possible side effects after discontinuing its use.
HOW TO USE GUARANA POWDER
In the composition of this , it is estimated that, for every 1 gram, there is about 40 mg of caffeine present. We should know that the recommended use of caffeine per day is a maximum of 1 gram so that we don’t have negative side effects. The consumption of caffeine between 5 to 10 grams per day can have lethal effects for the body.
Due to all the necessary precautions when ingesting it, it is recommended that it be used only when recommended by a nutritionist.
GUARANA POWDER HARMS
Over time, as our body gets used to using it as a source of energy, it stops having such an effect, so we end up taking a larger amount of the substance so that the same initial effect occurs.
However, there is a problem with this fact: as we need more and more amounts over time, it may be that, at some point, just like when we drink a lot of coffee, we will develop an addiction to this substance.
GUARANA POWDER SIDE EFFECTS
There are several side effects present in the use of it , so we must be extra careful in relation to the following possible effects:
- When using guarana powder at night, there may be insomnia.
- With its consumption at adequate times and amounts, the main side effect noticed is sweating. However, when taking the substance in excess, there may be more serious effects, such as: convulsions, tremors, nausea, irritability, diarrhea, agitation, headache, vomiting and palpitations.
- If we use guarana powder continuously in our daily lives, the following side effects may arise: anxiety, headache and irritability.
- When we consume guarana powder with a concentration of 1 gram of caffeine in its composition, we can notice harmful effects on our health.
- It is contraindicated for pregnant and lactating women, as caffeine can affect the child’s development.
- In people with cardiovascular disease, gastric ulcer, chronic headache or diabetes, guarana should be avoided or used with great caution.
- It should not be used by people with arrhythmias, which may worsen the symptoms of this disease.
- May cause decreased appetite.
Robert Asprin, APD is a non-dieting Accredited Practicing Dietitian passionate about inspiring positive changes in eating and lifestyle behaviors to help improve health while nurturing relationships with food and body.